Saturday, September 19, 2009

I wanted to have a place to post stuff related to my graduate school experience. I used to be a window dresser, now a grad student in geography and geoinformation science. Surprisingly, both have a lot to do with space.
Setting adjacencies for products increased the perception of value. By organizing the space of a department or shop around clear sight lines and strong visual images, we could narrate a story and navigate customers through the store. People generally buy products in relation to the message they want to communicate about themselves rather then for the use value of the goods. By locating products as lifestyle components with tag lines, props, graphics an effective visual merchandiser can boost sales. The trick is to understand which visual and cultural clues are relevant to your customer.
As a geographer and a GIS geek I try and understand the social factors which might account for human spatial patterning. In turn, I am interested how manipulation of space reproduces those social relationships. I have been reading Lefebrve, Doreen Massey as well as space cadets like Ed Bunge.

No comments:

Post a Comment